To work with Brigad, you need to register as self employed with HRMC. This is an easy 10 min process which you can complete by clicking here. This is a simple way of telling the government that you are self employed and are responsible for your own taxes and National Insurance. You will also need a national insurance number in order to register with HMRC.
In order to register, first you’ll need a Government Gateway account. This grants you access to the government’s range of online services, the most important of which is HMRC’s Self Assessment portal. You will be sent your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number within 2 weeks of registering. You will need to submit this UTR to Brigad within 1 month of accepting your first shift in order to continue on the platform.
You will need to give a name to your ‘business’, the most common is to use your own name. Don’t forget to check to see whether your preferred business name is already being used. There is no register of business names used by self-employed people so you should do an online search to see whether someone is already running a business with your preferred name.
If you have troubles registering as a self-employed person, you can follow the following images:
1) Register online and follow the instructions to enter your personal details:
2) Register for HMRC Taxes:
Click on next until this page where you need to select one service to register and then your type of business:
3) Complete all information "About you"
4) Fill in the information "About the business" and specify you work in the Hospitality field
5) Finish your registration by the declaration:
6) You will receive an email confirmation of registration and in the following weeks a letter with the UTR number